Monday 28 June 2010

Three Cherries Still Life.














Managed to spend a couple of hours at the studio today. Someone had left a few cherries by the fridge, I fancied a sit down with some oils so I confiscated the still life. It's really surprising how much of a colour change from deep purple to bright red the effect of a spot lamp can have, totally altering the local colour. I try to keep an eye on the time doing these small pieces as I don't want to make them look overworked. I try not to exceed the three hour mark as you could spend a lifetime changing this or altering that.

'Do studies, not pictures. Know when you are licked and start another. Be alive and stop when your interest is lost. Put off finish as it takes a lifetime, wait until later to try and finish things, make a lot of starts.' p20 Hawthorne on Painting

2 comments: