Friday 11 June 2010

May I Start, May I Finish. Pochade painting of Old Swan



















I managed to get a few photographs to work from late last night. This is the first painting of the Old Swan area as suggested online, along with a quick sketch of the old Barclay's bank roof. If you go to http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5 you'll find an excellent site on the Swan and surrounding areas with heaps of old photos.

Talking about photos, if I work from pictures they are always my own, but even then you must remember there are few pro's and cons with a camera.

I always use my own pictures as this means you were actually there and experienced the time of day, sounds and light etc.
The camera records good references for what was there and where.
You can take pictures from a vantage point you could not ordinarily paint from, i.e too crowded, no room to paint, the last part of the day.
Things can move too fast to be painted, cars or children, unless they are parked and remain there for some time, the cars not the children.
The camera is like your drawings or colour swatches, a visual aid. it will not give detail in the shadows and it will lose colour in the highlights, your drawings and colour swatches wont.

'They are recording devices not experience devices', Richard Schmidt. p181 Alla Prima; Everything I Know About Painting

No comments: