Wednesday 8 September 2010

Liverpool painting No 67. May I Start May I Finish. Allerton Road















Another one from Woolton village. Worked from a few photographs and colour swatches. I've just read a good article on painting from photos at http://makingamark.blogspot.com/ . For what it's worth personaly I don't see a problem painting from photos, so long as you don't slavish copy them, and don't make a habit of it. I always use my own pics and record colour swatches that the photos would otherwise omit in the shadows and highlights. Sometimes a light effect is so fleeting a picture may be your only chance of recording it no matter how fast you claim to paint. I don't believe however it should replace plein air drawing skills and on site observation, besides, think of the fun your missing outdoors, that can never be replicated.

No comments: