Saturday 6 June 2015

Self Portait


Self Portrait

14 cm x 12 cm

Acrylic on card

We're doing self portraits at my adult classes this week so I decided to have a go myself. I should do more of these small studies when I'm struggling to find a subject. 

I remember seeing a Morecambe and Wise sketch with Andre Previn. Eric Morecambe said of his poor piano performance, ‘I’m playing all the right notes...not necessarily in the right place.’ I think I have all the right features...not necessarily in the right place. 

I’ll go with John Singer Sargent’s definition of a portrait, ‘It’s a likeness of someone where the nose isn’t quite right.’

On the bright side, a friend wants it for their fire place...apparently they haven't got a fireguard to keep the children away...bum bum. The old one's are the best.


No comments: