Monday 16 April 2012

30 minute paintings.

















acrylic on paper 21cm 14cm.

I was sitting in the back garden sun preparing some lessons for the next painting course which starts tomorrow at Orrel Park. Taking a short break I decided to practice what I preach and do a quick painted study and stop after 30 minutes. Reduce a simple scene into a mosaic of shapes not things and aim for the right value colour. It’s not how you finish but how you start. The acrylic paint was drying so quick in the heat really helps your speed painting skills.

I intend to do the whole course following the advice of painter Kevin Macpherson, using just 3 colours, ultramarine blue, cadmium yellow, crimson red and white. I think this could simplify the colour mixing problems faced by most students so it should be quiet interesting to strip things down to the bare essentials.

http://kevinmacpherson.com/

No comments: