Monday 8 June 2009

Postcards From Liverpool







I finally managed to gain access to the disused Stanley Dock on the Liverpool waterfront to do some prelim work for a new project I've been mulling over for quite some time. I want to do a series of paintings of the forgotten or disappearing locations from around the city, postcards from the edge so to speak.
I spent a grey afternoon alone Immersed in this haunting location, and couldn't help but see these structures as ghosts from the past. The old cotton warehouses, the grain and rice stores and the Stanley swing bridge are the souls of things which have a heart that beats in a time past. They are in a state of limbo waiting to become something else or simply erased. They carry the history of the ordinary men and women who built and worked them, a history we are still touching with our fingertips. I just want to run with the idea over the next few weeks and see what develops as I normally find my inspiration in the wilder barely touched or changed landscape.

No comments: